Temporary Requirement to Use Face Coverings to Slow the Spread of COVID-19
(SANTA BARBARA, Calif.) – The County Health Officer Dr. Henning Ansorg, M.D. has issued Health Officer Order No. 2020-10. This Order will be effective starting 5:00 p.m. (PDT) May 26, 2020, continuing until 5:00 p.m. (PDT), on June 30, 2020 or until it is extended, rescinded, superseded, or amended in writing by the County of Santa Barbara Health Officer (“Health Officer”).
A significant portion of individuals with COVID-19 are asymptomatic and can transmit the virus to others through coughing, sneezing, or talking. Face coverings have the potential to slow the spread of the virus by limiting the spread of respiratory droplets.
The intent of this Order is to temporarily require the use of Face Coverings to slow the spread of COVID-19 to the maximum extent possible.
The new order stipulates the following:
- This Order does not apply to infants or children under the age of 13.
- Masks with one-way valves cannot be used to comply with this Order. These types of masks permit respiratory droplets to easily escape which places others at risk.
- All individuals, unless an exception applies, must wear a face covering:
- When inside of or in line to enter any and all businesses.
- When using public transportation, a private car service, or a ride-sharing vehicle. Drivers must wear a face covering while driving or operating vehicles regardless of whether a member of the public is in the vehicle.
- All businesses must require employees, contractors, owners, and volunteers to wear a face covering at the workplace and at off-site work locations.
Exceptions, guidelines and information relative to this order can be found in the full Health officer Order located here.
County Public Health: www.PublicHealthSBC.org, Twitter and Facebook
County of Santa Barbara: www.CountyofSB.org, Twitter, Facebook
2-1-1 Call Center: Dial 211 or outside the area, call (800) 400-1572
Recorded Information Line: (805) 681-4373
Behavioral Wellness 24/7 Access Line: (888) 868-1649
Community Wellness Team Information and Referral Line: (805) 364-2750