Schools & Childcare Information
Students (K-12) will return to virtual learning for the start of the school year in August.
All public school districts, charter schools and independent schools in Santa Barbara County are working with the County Superintendent for plans for Fall 2020. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to contact their child(s) school for more information about school meals.
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) specifies that childcare centers, also known as daycares, are still open, but only for children of parents working in essential sectors. For daycare centers that remain open, CDPH advises that they should employ heightened cleaning and social distancing requirements. Babysitters may also come to the house to care for minors of parents working in essential sectors.
In Santa Barbara County the following childcare offerings are available for essential workers:
- Lompoc School District
- Hope School District
- Healthcare workers are encouraged to contact the Children’s Resource and Referral of Santa Barbara County. Workers located in South County call (805) 963-6631; and those in North County call (805) 925-7071.
- Employers interested in pop-up childcare for employees can contact the Child Care Planning Council Coordinator by telephone at (805) 964-4711 ext. 4473.
Resources for parents and caregivers:
Talk to your children about COVID-19 by clicking the links below for more information:
- Centers for Disease Prevention Messages for parents, school staff, and others working with children.
- National Association of School Nurses and the National Association of School Psychologists Resource.
- Centers for Disease Prevention guidance for childcare programs that remain open
- California Department of Education guidance on support for students.